Saturday, June 30, 2012

Gluten Intolerance or Gluten Sensitivity?

My last post mentioned about how my stomach reacted to certain foods, and how painful that experience was for me. Having to rush to the hospital at 9pm and going through all that pain with not being able to walk properly for a week, not fun at all.

Earlier this week I read this article by Women's Health,. It really came in at the right time. I'm still confused as to why my stomach reacted the way it did after eating some muesli cookies. Was it really due to the raw wheat, barley and rye that was inside?I still don't know.

I went for a consultation yesterday at the clinic, and asked for a referral to the town hospital to get tested for food allergies. I wanted to be sure of what I had allergic reactions to, so I could avoid the right stuff. I didn't want to blindly eat and test and harm my stomach any longer. It was tough going through an entire month of diarrhea and later finding out that it was lactose in my morning coffee that was hurting me. I really don't want to go through that situation again.

That said, I've tried to add "light" gluten products back into my meals, and as of now, other than the usual stomach bloat I have, no other symptoms. There's a paragraph in the article that mentions that we shouldn't eliminate gluten products from our diet before the tests confirms it. So, I'm planning to keep this way till I get my appointment with the hospital. But mainly, I'm only using all purpose flours, soy sauce, and oatmeal. So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This girl has gotta have her cake, and hopefully, this wont take it away from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment